Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Project 2013


I was introduced to the book Wonder by RJ Palacio in the spring of 2013 when I was looking for a book for a summer book club with my 5th grade students.  Once I read the book, I knew that this book was going to be with me for a long time.  After a successful summer book club, I decided to share the book with my new students in the fall.  I don't usually read a chapter book as a read aloud because it is difficult to keep up with the momentum of a story in such short chunks.  Everyday my students asked if we were reading more Wonder... I knew it was something that needed to continue.  More books were popping up around the room as I was reading and even a few parents said that they started the book too.  As we continued to the end of the book, I felt like I couldn't have this experience end.  A student said that he was getting a copy for his grandma who loved to read and that sparked the idea in my mind.  As I prepared my holiday gifts I couldn't imagine a better gift for my family and friends than to share this amazing book.  I created this blog for them to share their thoughts along with my students about their experience and how the book has changed them.  I also encouraged them to take the book and pass it along to someone else.  I, along with my students, am excited to see how the book and blog travel around and people share what they think and feel about the book.  It just makes me wonder...

15 comments:

  1. This book is life changing! I love the idea of giving it as a gift, because after I read Wonder, I considered it just that. So thank you, RJ Palacio, for using Auggie's story to express the gift of words, and how much impact they have! The feeling of acceptance, and how that looks and feels different for everyone. Lastly, don't judge a book by it's cover...inward beauty far exceeds outward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie-
      Sometimes it is amazing when you learn from your students but what makes it even more amazing is when you learn WITH your students. Next to the Bible... this is one book that has changed who I am. Excited to see how the wonder and amazement spread. Choose Kind!!

      Delete
  2. I think I am more like Jack because I always stick up for friends. I might not always be helping them all the time but when I can, I will. This book helped me realize that not everyone has a perfect face. Everyone is unique and one of a kind. They shouldn't change because on person doesn't like you. Like who you are. If Auggie came in my life, I will always remember this book, Wonder.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maura- Thank you for your comment!!! I agree that each of us are unique and one of a kind. Even as an adult I have to remember to remain true to myself and not change for anyone. Choose Kind!!!

      Delete
    2. Maura-
      You are a lot like Summer. You always do stand up for friends. :)

      Delete
  3. I think Im more like Summer... I would Be friends with Auggie even if it meant to not have anymore friends except for Auggie.
    I think R.J. Placio really made great Perspective of each character. This book changes a lot in your life. Never change how you are....Be yourself.
    Wonder on!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan- Thank you for your comment. Summer is a tough act to follow. I wake up every morning and hope that I can be Summer to the people around me. The world would be a much better place if we thought of others. Keep the Summer sun shining!!! Everyone can made a difference. I am proud of you!!
      Choose Kind!!!

      Delete
  4. I think it would be hard to be like Summer but I would try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer was a favorite character for me too. She makes decisions based on what she wants to do, not based on the popular choice which is so admirable. I was so shy when I was young and wish I had been more like her.

      Delete
    2. Being Summer is defiantly hard to be like. She was brave to go over to Auggie and not be afraid. Just keep on trying to be like Summer.: - )

      Delete
  5. I agree Fiona... she was friends with Auggie because she wanted to be friends. I think we all strive to be like Summer. Could this be a Fiona that I know... Hope all is well!!
    Choose Kind!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the Fiona you know as you saw me earlier!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Gifting this book and requesting that the recipients pass it on is one the best ideas that I've heard in a long time. Auggie's story had a profound effect on me as a mom and as a teacher. Wonder made me truly reflect on how I treat others. One of the story's themes that sticks with me is the idea of being on sides - the good person side, the bully side, and the neutral side. I wonder if bullying would be such an issue if more of us could move out of that neutral area. Being neutral doesn't necessarily hurt anyone but it doesn't help the situation either. Kindness and positive energy is contagious! In a book discussion with my students we challenged ourselves to choose to be kind...to go out of our way to bring happiness to others on a daily basis. Just a simple hello or smile can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder is an amazing book that made me change. I am more like Jack, but I strive to be like Summer. Thank you Mr.Swenson for introducing Team E to the book!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That book has always been amazing! I went to Target to get a copy, now my mom is reading it and she loves it. : )

    ReplyDelete